Removing a codon from E. coli
A new paper from the Church lab appears in July 15th’s issue of Science Magazine. I worked on aspects of this project during my initial rotation in the lab. In particular, I used conjugative assembly to combine together subunits of the modified genome (the CAGE method). I also led the genome re-sequencing effort. We sequenced many of the intermediate recoded strains to confirm that our changes were made successfully, to characterize the mutation rate over the replacement and assembly process, and to ensure that we did not introduce large numbers of additional point mutations or structural changes to the genome.
In addition to the paper itself, you can read popular press coverage of the research from several places: